It is no surprise that Greece has been the filming location for many famous Hollywood movies due to how beautiful its landscape is. Here are the best!
9. Wog Boy 2: Kings of MykonosThis is a 2010 Australian motion picture comedy sequel to the 2000 film “The Wog Boy”, starring Nick Giannopoulos, Costas Kilias and Vince Colosimo. In this movie, the wog boy, Steve, inherits a beach on Mykonos, prompting him to fly from Australia to this Greek island.
8. Before Midnight Filmed in Messinia and released in 2013, this American romantic drama film, which was directed by Richard Linklater and stars Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, is the third in a trilogy that features two characters, following the movies “Before Sunrise” and “Before Sunset”. Like the previous films, it received widespread acclaim.
7. Captain Corelli’s MandolinThis 2001 war film, created in Kefalonia, is based on a novel by Louis de Bernières, paying homage to the Italian soldiers who were executed by German forces in 1943 on the island and to the people killed in the post-war earthquake. It stars Nicolas Cage and Penélope Cruz.
6. My Life in Ruins This is a romantic comedy film released in 2009 and filmed in the ruins of Greece, specifically Athens, Olympia and Delphi, starring Richard Dreyfuss, Nia Vardalos, Alexis Georgoulis, Harland Williams, Rachel Dratch and Alistair McGowan. It is about a tour guide who gets entangled in comic situations in the ruins.
5. For Your Eyes OnlyThis is the 12th film in the James Bond series released in 1981 and the 15th to star Roger Moore. This film marked the debut of director John Glen, who had also worked as second-unit director and editor in other James Bond films. It was filmed in Corfu and Meteora.
4. Zorba the GreekBased on the novel of the same title by Nikos Kazantzakis, this film is a must-see especially if you are interested in Greek literature and culture, as it portrays the tradition and lifestyle of Crete. The film is well-known for featuring the music by the renowned composer, Mikis Theodorakis.
3. Mamma Mia!Promoted as “Mamma Mia! The Movie”, this is a 2008 romantic comedy musical film, starring Meryl Streep, adapted from the musical of the same name that was performed at the West End and Broadway based on the song of the successful pop group ABBA. It was set on Skopelos.
2. Lara Croft Tomb Rider: The Cradle of Life This is a 2003 sequel to the action-adventure film “Lara Croft: Tomb Raider”, starring Angelina Jolie as the titular Lara Croft character. It starts with a wedding in Santorini that is interrupted by an earthquake. Aside from Santorini, other places in Greece are used for its filming.
1. The Bourne Identity This is a successful American-German action thriller film released in 2002 that was adapted from the novel of the same name by author Robert Ludlum. The film stars Matt Damon as the fictional character Jason Bourne, who is suffering from extreme memory loss and trying to know his true identity amid a conspiracy within the CIA. It was filmed in Mykonos.
Bonus: Greek Mythology The most famous films regarding Greek Mythology are the 300, Alexander the Great, the Clash of the Titans and of course, Troy.