Country Information

LOCATION
Greece or, Hellas, is located in the south east Mediterranean with the neighbouring countries of Italy to the west, Turkey to the east and Albania, FYROM Skopje, Bulgaria to the north. The capital city is Athens. Greece, with its varied landscape, is famous for its islands, there are some 2,000 islands belonging to Greece although not all of them are inhabited.
WHAT TO WEAR
In Spring and Fall, a jacket and sweater will keep you comfortable, while in winter, it is advisable to have with you warm light clothing, and waterproofs. In Summer, you may only require T-shirts, light trousers and shorts. Bring sunglasses and a hat and, if you are sensitive to the sun, bring a good sun block lotion. A good sturdy pair of walking shoes are essential. When visiting religious sites, such as churches, it is important not to wear shorts. For women, covering the shoulders is also required. Bring swimming gear for the beach, the hotels swimming pool or spas.
BOAT - FERRY TRANSPORTATION
Piraeus, the port of Athens is the place to take your ferry to all the Greek islands. There are ferries to all islands every day. Ferries offer, tourist class and first class and cabins on the overnight journeys.
CURRENCY
As of January 1, 2002, the currency in Greece is now called the Euro €. The Euro € is in note and coins form. The denominations of the coins are 1, 2 € and 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents. The notes are in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 €. Credit cards such as Visa and Master Card are widely accepted.
LANGUAGE
Greek (the mother tongue of the western languages) are about 65.000 Greek words in the western languages. Greek is the common spoken language but, English is widely spoken as well as other European languages. All street directions are in Greek and English.
COMMUNICATION
The best way of phoning is by using telephone cards which, can be obtained at Post Offices and at all street kiosks. Phone calls can be made from all street phone booths to anywhere in the world.
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS
An International passport, which should be valid for at least 6 months is required for immigration at the airport and for hotel procedures.
NATIONAL HOLIDAYS
Jan 1, Jan 6, March 25, Greek Easter, May 1, August 15, October 28, December 25, December 26.
TRAVEL INSURANCE
Travel Insurance is strongly recommended for any possible loss or, damage to your luggage, medical emergencies and some travel related accidents.
WEATHER & CLIMATE
Greece’s climate shows similarity in Spring (March – May) and in Fall (September – November) In both seasons, you may encounter some rain, which happens very rarely, more than likely, it will be sunny around 20oC although the nights may be a little chilly. In Summer, (June – August), the weather is warm and sunny with the nights being cooler. In Winter, (December – February) the weather is most often cold and you may experience rarely snow besides rain. In Winter however, there are many sunny days. In conclusion the estimate is that Greece usually has about 300 sunny days annually.
WHAT TO BRING
If you are on medication, bring enough medicine to last the entire trip as, there may not be an opportunity to re-supply here and it may also not be available here. It is also advisable to bring a first aid kit with insect repellent etc.
TRANSPORTATION
Greece has a good and fairly inexpensive transportation system. Taxi, Bus, Trolley, Bus and, in Athens, Metro (Underground). There is a good national bus network from Athens and major cities to all parts of Greece, as well as railway system.
FOOD & BEVERAGE
Tap water is drinkable throughout Greece although, bottled mineral water is also available everywhere. The food served in restaurants is international but, there is a large variety of taverns offering different and varied Greek cuisine.
SHOPPING IN ATHENS
One of the most attractive areas for shopping in Athens is around Syntagma (Parliament square), Voukourestiou, Kolonaki, Ermou st. and Plaka, the old quarter of Athens, includes a flea market and a large variety of restaurants as well as shops and boutiques. Which are open Tue, Thu, Fri 09.00-21.00, Mon, Wed, Sat 09.00-17.00 The shops in Plaka are open every day of the week including Sundays from morning until late at night.
LOCAL TIME
Greece is 2 hours ahead of GMT
ELECTRIC CURRENT
220 volts and 50 Hertz with round-prong European style plugs for domestic use. If not,will require an adaptor.
VISA REQUIREMENTS
Greece is one of the Schengen countries, check with your nearest or, local Greek Embassy or Consulate before departing your country of origin.
RELIGION
The Greek population is 90% Christian Greek Orthodox. The remaining 10% are mainly Christian Catholics and other sects and Muslims.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email